There is no longer any room inside my home in which I can lay out and layer and quilt sandwich. Even though much of it has gotten cleaned up, some put away, some sold at our quilt guild’s show last weekend, there is still an overwhelming amount of fabrics, bins, books and magazines cluttering every room of my house. There is not enough floor space to lay out Ashley’s (or Austin’s) quilt to baste it and prepare it for quilting, so I had to improvise.
My mother-in-law gave me a large, hinged “table top” on which she used to use for just this purpose. She taught me how to pin a quilt sandwich on it several years ago. She used to put it atop her diningroom table, but ours does not have that same capability, so I had to think of something else. What a beautiful day to be outside! Why don’t I set something up? We have saw horses in the garage, it would be perfect! When I couldn’t locate the saw horses, I called my husband to find out that they were “dismantled”, but he was able to tell me how to reassemble them. No… that was not going to work for me. That would take too long and too much effort. I had seen Al use our “garden cart”, which is much like a square wheel barrow, for various projects, by putting a sheet of plywood on top of it to work on. That could work for me! So I wheeled the rickety thing up to the back deck and prepared to drag my hinged table top out to assemble my work space.
I had to drag the table top through the house out the back doors to the deck, then find a way to get it onto the cart. That is H-E-A-V-Y hard wood, but I was determined. So here you have it. Ready to quilt!
Once the quilt backing was down and secured, I took out the batting and prepared it to sandwich next.
Since I discovered 501 spray basting, my life is so much easier! I don’t have to pin anymore, which leaves most of the bending-over part of quilting no longer necessary. A blessing for someone with back issues!
Next I spray and smooth the quilt top onto the two other layers ~ making my quilt “sandwich”.